Voter ID Bill May Lead to Fraud Says Cox

I have a hard time following her logic, but Cathy Cox has testified against Georgia’s photo ID law and, in her testimony, said, “We felt it was opening the floodgates to the possibility of fraud.”

Now, of course, she is apparently making the argument that this will increase fraud through absentee balloting. I’m having a hard time following that logic, though. Where was the fraud to begin with? At the polls? Or was there just never fraud before, but now there will be?

1. GAWire says:

>>”””I have a hard time following her logic”””

You, and everyone else in GA.

Cathy Cox has proven to be very unclear on where she stands or what she means. There was the confusion on the paper voting issue, and even a lot of Democrats have come out and said that they just don’t know where she stands on a lot of social issues. I never have understand exactly where she stands on Voter ID issues.

You know, we don’t hear a lot about Cox supporters (or at least I don’t). Is there anyone out there that can speak up for Cathy?

2. emily says:

I can’t claim to speak for Cathy, but , GAWire, I don’t understand what’s so confusing about her saying “I oppose the law.” She said it during session and she’s never waivered in her opposition from what I’ve read.

I’m a Cox supporter and read this blog often, but don’t find it often relevant to comment when there is so little discussion of the Governor’s race (especially as compared to the tireless blather about the LG race.)

3. HeartofGa says:

In my opinion, Cathy Cox has been consistent on this issue and has previously expressed her concern about the potential for fraud in absentee ballots. It is my understanding that in the original draft of the ID bill, provisions were included that offered greater protections for fraud in the absentee ballot arena, but those provisions were struck from the final version of the bill. Isn’t it correct that after initially registering to vote, one can request an absentee ballot without providing ID on each occassion? Isn’t it also correct that republican voters tend to use absentee ballots more often than democrats? I am a Cox supporter, not because she is a democrat, not because she is a women, but because she will be a great governor who can move this state forward.

4. Harry says:

The U.S. District Court judge who will decide whether to issue an injunction blocking the enforcement of the voter ID law, Harold L. Murphy, is a cousin of former Georgia House speaker Tom Murphy.

5. matthew thomas1 says:

If you really cared about cracking down on voter fraud, you clamp down on known avenues of misuse ie absentee voting. The idea of making it harder to vote at the polls while ignoring known voter fraud through absentee voting is stupid at best and racist at worst. Its like locking your windows but leaving the door wide open.

I respect Cathy’s open stance on this issue. She’s brave enough to take a stand against injustice. We need leaders in this state who will work to bring people into the civic process not exclude them from it.

6. Harry says:

The state’s elected representatives have decided to pass the law, and I happen to agree with it (I also favor a national ID card). It’s not racist. The federal courts will ultimately uphold it. As far as eliminating potential absentee voting fraud, let’s do it. In order to be permitted to vote absentee, I think a person needs to be either in the military or having a medical condition. Let’s go to work and get the law changed.