Sonny Skyrockets

A SurveyUSA tracking poll of governors shows that Sonny Perdue has skyrocketed to a 61% approval rating. The survey ties it to Sonny’s bold efforts to scrap the gas tax. According to SurveyUSA, Sonny is not the 14th most popular governor nationwide and is the third most popular governor in the south, behind Virginia and North Carolina’s governors.

1. Leaving aside for a second the fact that the gas tax will be coming back in all of its glory in two weeks (which coincides with a $4 rise in the price of oil yesterday), Sonny’s gains come mostly from Republicans.

Before the Gimmick: 69% approve. After: 81% approve.
    Democrats pre: 37%, post: 43%.
    Independents pre: 47% post: 56%

Most of the gains for independents come from people who had no opinion of him in August and now have a favorable one. His disapproval rating among independents only dropped by 4%.

The gas tax gimmick will be long forgotten come election time. If i were Sonny I’d be more worried about something that will still be around – President Bush. Before Katrina, SUSA had Bush at basically break even in Georgia (48-48). He’s gone down nationwide, and from what I understand a lot of the hit he’s taken has been from Republicans. Will Sonny, Eric, Glenn and the gang run away from Bush and the national Republican Party in ’06?

As a former Georgia Democrat, Perdue does have a lot of experience running from the national party.

2. RandyFMT says:

Well put. About 40% of independent voters and 40% of moderates disapprove. Overall, the temporary bounce might make Perdue supporters feel good, but the floorboards are still rotten underneath.

3. Were I a Republican, it would give me pause that Sonny’s one measurable poll bounce came from a temporary gimmick. September ’05 was no gas tax month. What is he going to do the rest of the year?

Here is my proposal:

Halloween costume sales tax holiday weekend in October.
    Temporarily no Turkey tax November.
    Deck the Tax Free Halls December…

You get the point.

4. Warrior says:

I think it shows what positive press can do. Wait until he unleashes his ad campaign. The same thing will occur. Yea, I know, Roy who? But Roy had a declining economy, the flag, teachers and redistricting working against him. Perdue has an improving economy and nobody really motivated to knock him off. So, don’t think of this as a short-term blip from a “gimmick”, but a sign of what will come in 2006.

5. Romegaguy says:

Chris, Sonny may have to distance himself from the National Party but it beats the Dems who have to distance themselves from the National AND State Party. Keep up the good work and maybe the GA Gop will give you and Bobby a lifetime acheivement award

6. buzzbrockway says:

It’s called leadership. Sonny & Haley demonstrated leadership while Democrat Blanco did not. Sonny did not receive a temporary bounce as people will remember when things were tough, Sonny rose to the occasion.

7. albert says:

Contrary to what a lot of hardcore Dems would like to believe, Sonny has done a pretty good job at governing. He’s cleaned up a fiscal mess. Also, contrary to what some folks believe, we have a strong vibrant economy in Georgia, and the trend looks good as well.

If you want to see economies in distress take a drive through the midwest (Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, Kentucky). Those state have been economically challenged for 20 years. The community I migrated from is nearly a ghost town.

There is not an angst against this governor either. Well, maybe the flaggers, but I doubt Pepto Bismal or Preparation H would help them. They’ll always find something to bark about.

8. Eddie T says:

And I’m sure Sonny Perdue is so excited about Mr. Georgia Republican Ralph Reed that we’ll see dozens of appearances with them together.

Heck, keep up this work and the Republicans will be running from their own shadows by 06.

9. Melb says:

Buzzbrockway,
    Governor Blanco had an entire city wiped out by a hurricane. Governor Perdue had high gas prices — caused by people going crazy at the pumps — there is no comparison of crisises in regards to extremity. Yes, the hurricane caused the percieved shortage of gas in Georgia, but it’s not like he has to rebuild the city, save the poor and old that were left in a city that was completely flooded, deal with looters, or any of the other problems. I think that what Perdue did was a very good idea for GA. and it was a very Democrat thing to do, but it is not like the crisis was severe he is just capatilizing on the severity of what happened in N.O.

10. GAWire says:

Sonny made a good move. Sure, gas prices might rise again, but his momentum has begun, and Warrior is correct that support will continue to grow as they unleash some media, etc.

I know this is “Fresh Political pickens from the Peach State” or whatever but since this comparison of Sonny/Barbour/Blanco was brought up, I wanted to mention one minor note on Sportsmans’ Paradise politics . . .

Perhaps Sonny didn’t have the same level of crisis that Blanco has; nevertheless, Blanco proved that she could screw up a wet dream if given the chance.

I normally wouldn’t predict something as bold as this, but I really think that Blanco is done. Moreover, if you think she is in political doo-doo that runs deeper than the New Orleans sewage, you ought to hear what Louisanans think of Nagin! They are also mad at him, b/c his big Party switch is now backfiring! Dems in LA are freaking out right now, as far as politics goes, b/c Katrina knocked out their strongest voter base, AND the source of their most corrupt voting operations.

Those of us involved in LA politics haven’t been this excited since Edwin Edwards was indicted (for the 5th or 6th time). Sorry, PP, for the side note.

11. Romegaguy says:

So I cant spell Chris. Unlike the folks you work for, I will admit my mistakes and work hard to correct them.

12. buzzbrockway says:

Meld,

Blanco absolutely screwed up the pre and post-hurricane efforts. The N.O. Mayor deserves much of the blame and the Feds deserve blame as well. However, Perdue and Barber acted quickly and forcefully while Blanco constantly told people she had to “think about it.” When a cat-5 hurricane is coming your way you don’t “think” you act. Others did, Blanco did not. Those that acted get praised those that did not get slammed.

Finally, when did eliminating a tax become a “Democrat” thing to do? 🙂

13. Melb says:

Buzz,
    I agree that there is lots of blame to go around in regards to N.O., but grouping Barber and Perdue together is wrong. Barber had a national disaster, not quite the size as N.O., but still a real crisis to attend to. Perdue had no national crisis, Perdue acted quickly, yes, and made the right decision IMO, but he is attaching his leadership in dealing with gas prices to say he could deal with issues the size of N.O. and that just is not the case. And the Democrat thing to do was siding with the people who didn’t have the money to afford the gas and as a side note not all Democrats think eliminating taxes are a bad thing.

14. Romegaguy says:

Why is Chris so preoccupied with other people’s sex lives? Is it because he has none of his own?

I thought that it was the religious right that was supposed to be preoccupied with sex and not the liberal left.

Keep up the good work on Spring St. Chris and you might lose all statewide Democratic offices.

15. Erick says:

Chris,
    You’re a bit harsh in this thread. Mind the language and the personal attacks. Though I did laugh when I read your post about certain Republicans marrying their mistakes.

16. Booray says:

Democrats are fooling themselves.

Sonny’s numbers have never really been that bad when you consider the economic/budget messes he had to navigate, particularly as a first-term, first-time GOP governor (compare him to, say, Arnold in CA).

Now, his numbers go up because of a solid leadership move, and somehow the “floorboards are rotten.”

Dems, face it. Gov. Perdue is not unpopular, and he’s never really been unpopular. He is not an accident. He has done a good job, and Dems will have a tough time beating him.

Booray Bussey

17. Erick I’ll tone down my usage of four letter words. 😉 My skill at figuring out who anonymous commenters are associated with and what will upset them is something that sadly I cannot repress.

18. Romegaguy says:

Didnt know that you had upset me or figured out who I am associated with. If that is what makes you happy, then ok. It surely doesnt make you happy when Democrats win because that hasnt happened while you have worked at the Democratic party….