More on Graves

Speaking with someone on background, I’m told that the Speaker firmly believes in supporting incumbents and while he clearly does not condone or support past acts, the Speaker does intend to support incumbent Republicans and that includes Graves.

When asked about the Joey Brush “support in name only” situation, I was told that is a misunderstanding. If you look at the record from that election, you will find that Bill Stephens, Casey Cagle, Eric Johnson, and the Governor all lent their support in the primary.

Graves can probably expect the same on the House side, past indiscretions regardless.

It should be remembered that, despite a not very pleasant divorce and hard feelings among some of the “country club set,” Graves still ran for re-election last time and was unopposed. That said, I’ve heard rumors in the past that he would have gotten opposition had the lines been drawn slightly differently.

We’ll see.

Again, I think use of the video tape could be very damaging to Graves.

1. Hissy Fit says:

The Speaker and the leadership will support Graves and not in the “Joey Brush in name only” sort of way. From what I am being told, they know he messed up but they are going to support him and try to get him reelected. You can take that to the bank!

2. Hammertime says:

Let’s see if he keeps his Chairmanship of the Committee that oversees alcohol. That’ll be the first sign of support.

3. Bill Simon says:

Yes, these folks did lend their help to Joey Brush..and the people of Augusta were unfazed by their pleas and their help for Joey.

The voters resoundingly kicked Joey out and replaced him with Jim Whitehead.

4. My guess is that to the average voter, even in a Republican primary, getting two DUI’s > Glenn Richardson’s support. Voters don’t even know or care (for the most part) who Glenn is. But they do care about the character of the people they are voting for, especially in a Southern Republican primary.

That was the same problem Joey Brush had. It doesn’t matter who is supporting you (even if Sonny Perdue is one of them, and he was, he said some nice things about Brush at an event in Elberton I attended). Once the voters find out that you had an affair with Linda Schrenko and got some Capitol staffer pregnant etc they could give a shit who’s on your team. Because they don’t want to be on it anymore.

5. Hissy Fit says:

Okay, I wouldn’t dare compare what Joey Brush did to what David Graves did. But, I do think that Joey needs to be beat down for the Schrenko thing. Eek.

6. Porter Bates says:

I think Graves’ political career is over. He should enjoy his last session, though hopefully not as much as he obviously has the last two, and then resign. There are two serious candidates who have held or currently hold elective office who are planning to run against him in the Republican primary.

The Macon social scene has not forgiven him for his divorce from a woman that is much loved in that community. He has flaunted his affair with a lobbyist by bringing her to Macon. My wife could kill him.

The Republican base is embarrassed by his actions and by his obviously not holding up the image expected of Republican elected officials. The grassroots workers will support one of his opponents.

It will not matter if the leadership endorses him or not, he is finished locally. It is sad if he does not recognize this and save himself and the community the embarrassment of his electoral defeat.

7. Knight Rider says:

Staton and Graves are stalwart supporters of Ralph Reed. They make up 2/3 of Reed’s support in the General Assembly.

8. Porter Bates says:

I suspect Republican members of the local delegation (Freeman, Cole, Staton) will stand with him, but like the Atlanta folk, at a distance. They just about have to. But its the local folk he has to worry about. Word is now a third person, a former Rep from the area may jump into the primary. It will be interesting to watch.

9. Hissy Fit says:

Porter, word has it that his ex-wife will do whatever she can to get him re-elected. If she stands up for him, shouldn’t the rest of the Macon social scene take lessons from that and get over it if she has moved past it?

Same goes for the lobbyist. His ex-wife knows about her. Their kids know about her and accept her. How is that flaunting?

10. Porter Bates says:

Hissy Fit,

You seem very close to this situation. My wife moves in some of those circles, however, and doesn’t share your view of his former wife’s intentions. But that aside, I like David and do not wish him ill. I just think he’s got a lot of work to do to save his seat and it may not be possible. Heck, I’ll probably vote for him. But then I am a man. He has a compact country club district for the most part that a number of people envy and desire.

It is the women he has to worry about. If his wife “stands by her ‘former’ man” that may help some. But women don’t want politicians driving under the influence on the roads their children travel.

And the fact that three people are now intent on challenging him in the primary means that this is not likely to come to a good end for Graves.

I do think sometimes the noble thing to do is to know when to throw in the towel–for the good of family, community, and party.

But that is a decision he will have to make. This one will be interesting to watch.

11. Hissy Fit says:

Not close to the situation in the least but I do hear much of the scuttlebutt which is that the ex-Mrs. Graves will support him and help his campaign.

12. Bill Simon says:

Let me get this straight: If the injured party of an immoral act “forgives” the one who injured her/him, then we should all accept that as “okay” and move on?

Yo! God! Is that okay with You? Can we just decide as a society to forgive each other for our sins and live in peace here on Earth?

On second thought, why do we even need You? We, as a society, should just be allowed to police ourselves and our actions within the context of what we decide to be acceptable behavior, and ignore what You have laid-out for us….

13. Hissy Fit says:

Bill: Not to be funny but isn’t that what God commands us to do. If someone asks for forgiveness, shouldn’t it be given? If Graves ex-wife is moving past the divorce and they are on friendly terms now, what does it say to everyone else that wants to burn Graves at the cross? We all fall short of the glory. Some to much different degrees than others.

14. Tater Tate says:

Has anyone seen the video the original post refers to? Is it on the internet? A “drunk” politician asking for help or special consideration from the officer would be very damning. I’m surprised the AJC hasn’t already gotten a copy given that he’s a Republican.

15. Bill Simon says:

So, I guess that should have applied to Bill Clinton’s sins as well? We , as a country, should have moved-on after Hillary forgave Bill and never spoke of the adulterous affairs again?

16. Hissy Fit says:

Do I personally hold his adulterous affairs against him? No because he did much more damage to the presidency than having affairs with interns.