Sacrificing National Character on the Altar of the Welfare State

The widely read Drudge Report posted the following late last night:

A CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll of 609 adults taken September 5-6 shows: 13% said George W. Bush is “most responsible for the problems in New Orleans after the hurricane”; 18% said “federal agencies”; 25% said “state and local officials”; 38% said “no one is to blame”; 6% had no opinion. — 29% said that “top officials in the federal agencies responsible for handling emergencies should be fired”; 63% said they should not; 8% had no opinion.

Now, I’m going to take this opportunity to stick my neck out and risk wrath from my fellow contributors who are Democrats, I know, and possibly some of my Republican friends as well.

I’ve got news for you, folks. The blame game can go all around in a vicious circle if it pleases, but the gosh honest truth is that the blame rests in the societal and cultural shift we’ve seen in the last decades towards a welfare state. If I may wax philosophical but for a moment, I’ll return us in memory to the principles upon which this country was founded: freedom, honesty, HARD work ethic, national pride, and patriotism. I’m not even talking about philosophies or ideals…I’m talking about the character qualities that formed the core of our nation’s people. I’m a firm believer in the concept that those qualities that forged the strength and iron will of our nation’s people have been slowly but surely weaned out of us.

Formerly, we were a “crock pot

1. landman says:

Silence,Im sorry but I must strongly disagree with you on the status of this great nation.It is true that with modern conviences come higher expectations of items such as the microwave catagory to which you speak,but all in all we are nation that stands up when we must and helps our fellow citizens both here and abroad when tradegy strikes such as Katrina.If one chooses to concentrate on the THUG factor of this terrible disaster,yes it is easy to surmise that we are going to Hell in a hand basket,but to do that one must overlook all the good that is taking place in all corners of this country.The criminals that created the human suffering were a small minority and in my opinion should have been shot on site ,but thats not the point Im trying to make.The point is there always has been and there always will be an element in our society that has no moral values and will do anything at the expense of others to satisfy their greed.The things that happened to some of these people by these lawless gangsta’s is repugnent to honest god fearing people, but the truth is these events were happening everyday in the very same streets before this storm struck. The Gulf coast region holds a very special place in my heart and the heart of my family.We recently sold one of our companies that employed over 200 people in that area and I have spoken to many of them and have helped those in need,and I can tell you first hand that the American spirit of our fore-fathers is alive and well.The liberal media and the Howard Dean’s and Nancy Polosi’s(sp?) of the world will use their normal class-less political agenda to try to blame all Republicans for this but the reality is there were mistakes made by all and the important thing is there is a job to do and we must all pull togather and get it done and we Will.To drive by all the places in Georgia and see the tractor trailers being filled with donated items and people taking time frtom their work and families is what America is all about,but you will not see this on the news but rather all the negative aspects of this disaster.While I agree to a point that we have become a victim to our own success I dont buy into the Sky is falling scenario.With that said it has been refreshing to read about all the things that the people on this site are involved in with the relief effort.

2. Silence says:

Landman,

A couple of things: first, I wasn’t saying the sky is falling, nor did I say we were going to hell in a handbasket. I was saying the human tragedy, the fruitless efforts, the lawlessness, etc, were to be blamed on the “welfare state” mindset, not on the government, the mayor, or the President.

My second point comes in the form of a question: this putricity, this dogmatic philosophy of laziness, conformity to government handouts: is it growing, or receding? The spirit of our forefathers IS alive…small, but it’s alive. In folks like you, me, the policemen who refused to leave New Orleans for a break in Vegas. My question is this: is the spirit of which you speak growing, or is the creep of societal slothfulness growing instead?

3. landman says:

Silence,Let me be clear I do agree with you on the issue of the “welfare state” being the biggest anchor and obstacle for those it was intended to help.My point was ,to answer your question is that for the majority of Americans the spirit of self responsibility is there and that it is as strong as ever,however you have a liberal democratic coalition of politicians,media organizations,actors and the like that promote this us against them mentality that has polarized this country to the extreme.The spineless thugs that reaped havoc on the elderly,weak and young are nothing more than rabid animals and should be treated as such.To answer your second question lets be honest as politically incorrect as it is,the answer is yes in a certain segment of our population.Once again I refer to the liberal Dems who pander to this group shamelessly for political gain.In my opinion the problem we have is there is noone in a position of authority willing to address the facts for what they are for fear that they will be burned at the stake as was Cosby when he made his comments concerning self respect and self responsibility among young black men.Where is the Jessie Jackson Parade condeming these acts?So in restating my case in point,I believe for the majority of us the American Spirit is alive and well but you are absolutely correct in that the welfare mindset is a drag on all of us,because we are the ones who end up funding this irresponsibilty.

4. rickday says:

So, oh hater of the poor, In your Libertarian Utopia, where would the underclass/black class be? Living next door to you? Cool beans!

Oh, SURELY you don’t suggest that there would be no poor if there were no ‘welfare’. And what exactly is “welfare”? The GI Bill? Social Security? Or, is it that ‘program to feed the lazy’ formerly known as “welfare”. Or is it only the assistance black folk get?

You, sire, obviously sleep in a warm dry bed at night. A few nights in NOLA might change that haughty opinion.

I am,

Rick D.

5. rickday says:

PS… my observation is the loudest bitchers about taxes are not the wealthy (if I may include myself, at the top 3% income bracket, to speak for such), but the ‘lowers’ (as we call them). The less money one makes the more one whines about sharing it.

It is called the politics of the stingy conservative: “it’s mine, dammit!”

So, Silence, how many poor did you hire and train this month? It is one thing to talk the talk……

6. Silence says:

Rickday,

First, it IS mine, dammit. I worked for it, I sweated for it, I stayed up late for it, and I should be able to spend it as I see fit, for my family, for parents who might be in the nursing home, for children who might need special medical treatment, whatever the case might be. If you’re not proud enough of what you work for to work to keep it, so be it. It’s not being stingy, it’s being a responsible steward. Get over it.

There are, contrary to popular opinion, those who ARE poor, and those who choose to be poor. Those who choose to be poor deserve what they get. Those who ARE poor, without a choice, deserve to have helping hands extended to them not by the government, but by their fellow Americans. That’s why I’ve opened my residence to refugees, why I cleaned out my closet and sent clothes, and why I’m going to LA in a few weeks. You classify them as underclass. I do not. Unless they fall into that category of choosing to be poor, I’m no better than they. If they do fall into that category, the only difference is that I choose to work and accept responsibility for myself, they do not. That is the only difference. I bleed red blood, so do they. They are my neighbors. Be not mistaken…there are white trash poor, there are gangster negro poor. It’s hardly a status delimited by race. I would be, and am, proud to have “them” living next to me, working alongside me, worshipping with me, and going to PTA meetings with me, as many of them do. For most, the only reason some do not work alongside me is because they choose not to.

In reference to your last two comments: first, I do sleep in a bed that I pay for with money paid for my work. Secondly, I’ve spent several weeks out of the last two summers in third world countries and impoverished areas of our own country serving the poor, those who have no choice but to be poor. It was my pleasure, and when I get the opportunity, I will be headed to Louisiana to serve there as well.

How many poor have I hired? None. How many have I trained? None. Why? Because they haven’t asked. I’ll direct you to the opening scenes of one of the greatest movies ever made, Rocky III. Rocky, the now wealthy, formerly “poor” bruiser from Philly is in a confrontation with his brother-in-law Pauly. Pauly is jealous of the status Rocky has attained, and in the conversation, Rocky says to him something like this: “Pauly, you’re not down, you’re not a bum. You’re just a lazy, jealous old man who thinks everyone owes you a favor.” Later, Pauly asks for a job and becomes Rocky’s ringside trainer.

Rick, most of these folks aren’t bums, as you would classify them, they’re just lazy. I’m no better than them, neither are you. But neither one of us owe them favors.

Landman, good call. Thanks for clarifying.

7. Silence says:

DecaturGuy,

I’m a conservative, not a necessarily a Republican. They’re not “my guys.” It’s just the status quo.