Special Session

Governor Perdue has called a special session of the General Assmebly to ratify his decision to suspend the state fuel tax, effective at midnight tonight. While he is able to suspend it immediately, his decision has to be ratified by the Georgia General Assmebly, which will sit in a special session from Tuesday September 6 – Saturday September 10. The tax consists of a 7.5 cent excise tax collected on each gallon of fuel and a 4 percent sales tax.

1. Melb says:

Does this mean that the session lasted longer than 39 days? What about the history Republicans were going to make?

2. GAWire says:

It’s ok, Melb — being in the minority and having absolutely no control is a hard thing to grasp. You will learn to adjust . . .

You will also understand the history Republicans made when you receive the ability to read, count and maybe do a little bit of basic math, b/c that is all it takes to understand the historical work that the GOP-led legislature and Executive made in this year’s session.

3. MetroGOP says:

I think that the Governor done a great thing today, I am sure the press will give him a hard time for calling a special sesssion, but this is something that needs to be done.

4. Melb says:

GAWire,
    You must have really took that comment to heart. Read, count and basic math…..I thought it was a little harsh towards some light political humor.

5. Chris says:

National Emergencies trump political press releases.

6. Melb says:

I get it! I don’t really care even if it did make the 39 day session over 40 days and I understand the importance of national emergencies.

7. Bull Moose says:

Okay, the Governor gets points for swift action on the gas crisis in the state. He came out loud and clear and put a rest to the rumors and even went so far as to threaten those who would gauge Georgia’s drivers. In addition, he took a bold move in suspending the fuel tax. This is the kind of strong leadership that Georgian’s like and I only wish that the Governor had lead like this throughout his entire tenure in office.

Other state officers, mainly the Agriculture Commissioner, were AWOL on the crisis. I agree with the other poster that said he has a crew of investigators that could and should be on the front line stopping price gaugers.

One thing that the General Assembly could do while in session is to allow Georgian’s a tax credit up to $150.00 for charitable donations related to the Hurricane this year. As well, I think the General Assembly needs to act on Rep. Burke Day’s proposal to allow for the tax free purchase of hurricane provisions. Down on the coast, preparing for a hurricane is something we do every year!

8. kspencer says:

On the other hand… I’m not certain cutting the tax was the right action. Two points, the selfish one first.

We just came off an economic crunch where we cut things to the bone – and in some cases into the bone. We’re probably facing another year or two of economic difficulties nationally due to the twin expenses of Iraq and Katrina, and there’s no reason to believe Georgia will be exempt. So cutting income appears to be stupid – it means we’re going to have to cut EVERYTHING into the bone.

Non-selfish reason. At a minimum, we will want our services operational and able to cope with the refugees that come here. That’s a huge chunk of change that could be used for one of the good reasons for government’s existence – caring for those unexpectedly in need. Sure, various individuals and organizations can do so as well (some better, some worse), but they often rely on government assistance.

Bonus thought – a more astute action would have been to declare all the revenues collected from taxes over the next few months to be specifically earmarked to assist in the crisis.

It’s my opinion that we’ll see gas prices decline in about a month, then climb back to these levels never to return. Forgoing the revenue required to pay for roads and emergencies and such is, well, penny wise and pound foolish. It makes our governor popular – a good thing for getting re-elected. It makes our situation worse in the long run – sadly typical of political decisions prioritized on electability.

9. Decaturguy says:

Suspending the gas tax will not do anything to lower the price of gas. As long as fuel supply remains low, lowering the price will do nothing but increase the demand. Therefore, instead of decreasing auto trips Georgians will feel more able to take unnecessary trips. The increased demand and continued lower supply the price will continue to rise – higher than the 15 cent tax that is supposed to be saved by suspending the tax.

Hope you’re not counting on spending that 15 cents anywhere.

10. Bill Simon says:

And, who’s to say every gas station will pass the savings on to the consumer? Frankly, if I’m a Quick Trip operator, where I see my local QT is out of gas and has been so for a couple of days now, I still have fixed costs that must be paid. If I’m not selling that much gas to start with, then I’m not getting traffic through my store. So, I gotta tell you, I’ll be holding on to as much incremental profit as I can to make sure I have the money to pay the bills.

11. waterboy says:

Bull Moose stated the Ag Commissioner has been AWOL on the fuel crisis. How so? I understand the Dept. of Agriculture has a fuel and measures division with field operations that test and certifies retail gas pumps and wholesale petroleum meters. So they make sure you get the full gallon of fuel that you paid for, but what does that have to do with price gouging?

It appears you and at least one candidate seeking to defeat Ag Commissioner Tommy Irvin are looking for something that isn’t there. However, I certainly agree that more should be done to keep Georgians from being cheated out of money due to pricing abuse by most convenience store owners.

12. waterboy, that’s a great point you make about the duties of the ag commissioner’s office. Saving 15 cents per gallon for one month is nothing compared to what Georgians could be losing if the pump said a gallon had come out but really a smaller amount was going into your tank. I doubt Brian Kemp will issue a press release commending the department on making sure that in these times of high prices Georgians are actually getting the (expensive) gas that they are paying for.

Brian Kemp’s attack on Tommy Irvin would be like someone running against John Oxendine and attacking him for not sending all of his fire inspectors to put out a forest fire.