Georgia tied for last on SAT tests…

What affect will this have on the 2006 elections???

Georgia’s average SAT score rose in math and verbal, but that wasn’t enough to lift the state from the basement nationally on the college admissions test.

The average in Georgia was 993, tied with South Carolina for last place among states, the College Board announced Tuesday morning.

1. Tater Tate says:

Politically, it can’t be good. I thought the state adjusted how they are calculated, similar to other states, so as to help improve our numbers.

Whoever is in office will get beat up by this statistic. The reality is our demographics influence this and there is probably little that we can do for a quick fix.

Jesus said, “the poor you have with you always.” In Georgia, as a result of the breakdown of family, it has become the “poor and dumb.”

2. Mouth of the South says:

Explain the “demographic” claim above, please. I’m not sure what demographics you are referring to. This is not a flame, I want to see whther I agree.

May I just say, Thank God for South Carolina!

3. Eddie T says:

I remember when I showed up to take the SAT, apparently some whino had found my power bill and had already taken the SAT for me. Scores like his could be dragging Georgia’s whole average down.

I suggest a student ID requirement to crack down on people that are taking the SAT multiple times.

Test early, test often….

4. Tater Tate says:

Race, for example, where 70% of births to African-Americans are to unwed mothers. Children raised by poor mothers without the presence of a father end up in our public schools with all of their social problems.

But then 30% of births to whites are to unwed mothers. The same results end up being thrown upon the public schools.

Our schools cannot fix the real problem, which is the breakdown of family. Blame teachers all you want, but they cannot take the place of parents. Try as they may, what goes on in schools between 8 and 3 cannot overcome what these children face at home.

I know it is not PC, but it is the truth.

5. Eddie T says:

Except that beautiful example of race-baiting completely fails to explain Georgia’s failure in the SAT.

Census says Georgia ranks 13th in the nation in percentage of households that are married couple families with children.

Georgia does have a relatively high proportion of black people. But then again so does Maryland and Mississippi.

Interestingly, Georgia ranks last in SAT scores and last in job growth. If you think education isn’t tied to economics, you’re missing a big part of it.

6. Tater Tate says:

Certainly economics play a role. However, I recall that during the boom of the 90s with all the growth in the state and the olympics, we stayed near the bottom.

Public education is cursed by the loss of family. I don’t know what all the answers are, but I know the cause.

7. GAWire says:

Me not understand why them sat scores is so bad?

Oh, wait a minute . . . I went to private school – and my kids will go to private school. So, does that make me sound really bad if I say this doesn’t apply to me?

Alright, alright . . . I’m just kidding! In all seriousness, this issue certainly does affect me as well as my family. And, it absolutely has to do with economics, as well as family situations. If we could actually do a REAL study on the affects of family and home life on students’ education, I truly think we would scary numbers that explain some of these test scores and the correlation to young peoples’ life out of school.

Also, you might not see it now and it might not seem completely clear, but GA’s economy is directly, as well as indirectly affected by the level and quality of education that our young people receive, and where we rank in relation to the other states will affect our economy, expecially in the LR (that’s Long Run for those of you who can’t remember back to Econ 101).

On that same note, we used to always be able to feel safe in the fact that states like MS, AL and LA are still around, so we couldn’t be last in education and test scores.

Oh, the good ole’ days . . .

8. Tater Tate says:

Not single motherhood in itself. Plenty of single mothers raise successful children. Here we are talking about too many children whose mothers are children themselves without a responsible father in the picture. No education, no money, no father, dumped into public schools with the hope that teachers will solve our social ills.

This is obviously a complex problem, but we desparately need leadership from our churches and civic orgs and other not for profits and our government should develop policies that encourage families.

9. kspencer says:

Right. Something brought into high relief recently is applicable here – Toyota’s decision to build in Canada instead of Alabama. The two reasons cited were a) the relative education; and b) the cost of health care. Now, the latter is a separate topic. But when a manufacturing plant – stereotypically needing little to no formal education for most of the floor – chooses a location because they need to spend less money training their employees due to basic knowledge levels (despite HUGE dollar subsidies offered), you know that education matters. And when we’re lower in SAT scores than the state which got skipped, well, it says to me we might just have a problem.

FWIW, I sort of agree with Tater – it’s the families. It’s not just the single parents, though. I listened to the parents of a child who was doing mediocre work complain about the teacher daring to tell them they should ensure J finished his/her homework, maybe even helping him/her understand it. “Bah – it’s the teacher’s job to teach our kid.” This family, btw, is a six-figure income family. And can’t understand why the kid doesn’t think school is necessary. They’re going to put the kid in a private school next year to make the kid learn better. And will still wind up complaining about the teachers.

I suspect – don’t know, but suspect – that the single parent problem isn’t a lack of caring or morals, but merely a shortage of hours in the day for everything that has to be done. There’s no opportunity to talk to teachers, and only so much time to split between meals, loving, and homework. And I’ve not got a good idea how to fix that problem.

10. Bill Simon says:

Change the tax system so that people don’t have to work their butts off for marginally more income after taxes, Kspencer. That way, instead of parents holding 2-3 jobs, perhaps they could spend more time with the kids.

11. Bill, the only way to change the tax system to increase the take home pay for working families would be to drastically raise taxes on the wealthy not working 2-3 jobs. Any other change to the tax system would either dramatically increase the tax burden of working families (if revenue neutral — someone’s got to pay more, either the rich or the not rich) or cause a large decrease in revenue (if not revenue neutral), which would cause even greater cuts to school systems in Georgia than Sonny Perdue could envision in his wildest dreams.

Are you really proposing that to fix Georgia’s school systems we raise taxes on the rich so that we can cut or eliminate taxes on working parents so they can spend more time with their families? A class mom tax credit to improve education? That’s an interesting proposal. But I would guess you’re not proposing that, instead peddling the fair tax or whatever the eliminate the IRS/taxes on wealthy people scam of the month is for Republicans.

12. Mouth of the South says:

Two issues here:
    1) I don’t think it would be at all difficult to figure out if children with single parents are the reason Georgia’s SAT scores are lower. Is the argument above that the reason blacks score lower on the SAT than whites (on average) is that blacks tend to come from homes which are non-nuclear?

[By the way, can the 70% oow (out of wedlock for those of you who forgot sociology 101) for blacks be sourced somwehere? I’d like to read about it]

2) In other places online, there have been a lot of complaints that Sonny hasn’t come through on reducing the drop out rate. May I suggest that if we allow our drop out rate to double or triple, we could raise our SAT scores. It’d be grand.

Regardless, there is a problem with attaching school performance to SAT scores, especially since they have gotten so political that they had to raise the mean outside of any statistical reasoning (doesn’t effect their use in this discussion, just evidence that they have become subject to political sway).

Last point, if Sonny had not made this an issue in the 2002 race, it might not be as big a deal now. Well, maybe it would, but since he attempted to link low SAT’s to Barnes, he can’t really argue that these low scores can’t attach to the governor’s office now.

13. Bill Simon says:

Wow, Chris, I sure like that immediate launch of yours into trying to address the world as “rich” vs. “working families.”

I suggest you and the other wannabe-Socialists pack-up and move to Canada, or, heck, Venezuela, where there is no capitalism and everyone has an equal outcome of their lives.

14. Bill, you ignorant slut. If changes to a tax system occur and it remains revenue neutral, some will be paying more and some will be paying less. Since we’re talking about a tax system, you have to draw a line somewhere and make those above it well off and those below it not. If it’s not revenue neutral, either everyone will be paying more or everyone will be paying less. If more, how does that help the 2-3 job parents you mentioned. If less, there would have to be cuts to education which wouldn’t improve the problem this post is addressing one bit.

re: Rich/Working familes…The alternative would be to base our tax system on white/black, male/female, those with kids/those without, etc, something non-monetary and wealth derived. YOU were the one that brought up the onerous tax burden on “people working their butts off” , “parents working 2-3 jobs” etc.

I guess as long as one stays away from the words rich and/or working families it’s not class warfare when you say it — but it is an empty promise if you immediately brand a socialist anyone that points out that for your proposal to work someone out there will have to see their taxes go up. I’ll be waiting on even the vaguest details of a plan that does two things: fits your initial proposal and doesn’t raise taxes on someone else and at the same time doesn’t cut state revenues and education budgets.

15. Bill Simon says:

Whoa, Chris…who is making-up a constraint that the new system You?

Yeah, you know, if we get a national sales tax in here, those poor drug dealers will have to start paying a sales tax on all the bling they buy…that would be a shame.

I cannot wait to hear from you what YOUR definition is of the “Rich Line” and the “Poor Line” of demarcation.

Why don’t you go tap the wealth of your Dem Godfather, Teddy Kennedy, and see how much wealth that family has stuffed in mattresses? Are the Kennedys “rich” in your mind, Chris?

16. Bill Simon says:

Whoa, Chris…who is making-up a constraint that the new system requires that no one pay more than what they’re paying now? You?

I cannot wait to hear from you what YOUR definition is of the “Rich Line� and the “Poor Line� of demarcation.

Why don’t you go tap the wealth of your Dem Godfather, Teddy Kennedy, and see how much wealth that family has stuffed in mattresses? Are the Kennedys “rich� in your mind, Chris?

17. kspencer says:

Bill Simon, huh?

Georgia is a flat tax. Just what would you propose?

Oh – and if you’re speaking of national income taxes, your definition of marginal and mine must be way off. Because if I start with an income at the state median household, if I earn 20K more the fed only takes about 5K of that (4-6, depending on how I’m filing). And getting 15 out of 20K just doesn’t feel like “marginally more income” to me.

18. Bill, how many drug dealers do you think there are out there skipping out on the bill?

Steven Levitt had a pretty good article that asked the question — if drug dealers are making so much money, why are they all living with their mothers? It turns out they aren’t making that much money.

But really, way to put out a solid policy proposal for fixing our bad education system. If I understand, it’s something along these lines: Tax enough drug dealers through sales taxes so that somehow overworked mothers (who also would have to pay those same sales taxes) can work less and spend more time with their families.

Well, I guess that’s a better plan than Perdue’s idea to have every student that takes the SAT in Georgia (all 50K+) be mentored by a state legislator. We all know what that would do to scores in Renee Unterman’s district!