Cagle Speaks

After months of Cagle critics saying his campaign has focused almost exclusively on Ralph Reed, Casey Cagle made his first policy announcement.

In his first policy announcement of the 2006 GOP primary campaign, Cagle said he would reshape the office to focus on economic development.

He called for the lieutenant governor to be designated as a permanent member of the state’s economic development board, the agency responsible for recruiting new business.
Cagle also said his office would employ a “job czar” who would coordinate legislation affecting job growth.

That is not a bad idea. However, if the Governor and Lt. Governor are in opposite parties or the Governor perceives the Lt. Governor to be pushing an agenda, that could cause problems. Same with the Senate leadership, many of whom no doubt fancy themselves as the next Governor or Lt. Governor.

Perhaps the first idea should be to run the Governor and Lt. Governor as a ticket, much as Presidential and Vice Presidential candidates run.

1. Bull Moose says:

Cagle has put forward a very forward vision for the Lt. Governor’s position and is raising the bar for running for office in Georgia.

This is only the first idea of many to come from the Cagle campaign.

2. Tater Tate says:

Cagle is very smart. But Erick’s points are well taken. The governor and his staff will not want a LG who strikes out with his own agenda, much less the leaders of the Senate, who have rendered the LG position as meaningless.

But Cagle has to do something, so kudos to him. I just doubt many voters are paying attention at the moment.

3. Erick says:

I think the Governor and Lt. Gov. should run as a ticket and appoint the Secretaries, Commissioners, and AG with the advice and consent of the Senate.

4. kspencer says:

I’m a contrarian. I like gridlock. I like government being inefficient. I like that massive potential power being frustrated when only a few try to wield it or when it’s being wielded against the desires of a sizable minority. Thus quite opposite Erick what I’d like instead of the Gov/LtGov ticket joined at the hip, I’d rather see it continue separate and instead see the LtGov’s power in the Senate restored.

heh – yes, I admit I’d also like to see the Pres/VP tickets re-separated as well. But that is highly unlikely to happen (grin).

5. Bull Moose says:

A candidate who doesn’t put forward an agenda and issue items is usually considered to be a moron. We can’t sit back and wait till July to start talking about issues and why people should vote for Republicans.

If you do this, you will get what you deserve and that seems to be right now that you all would like to have Governor Cathy Cox.

It isn’t just political gossip and whispering that the Governor is in trouble — it’s full blown open conversation when the topic comes up. Even some die hard Republicans can’t think of a reason to really support Perdue and they think Cathy wouldn’t be too bad…

You combine that with a national ANTI INCUMBENT trend and you’ve got a perfect storm…

Sit on your hands and just wait and see what happens, but remember, you heard it here first!

6. albert says:

I’m a carpetbagger. The state I come from has a ticket named by the gubernatorial candidate. Whoever wins the primary selects his running mate, or can defer it to the delegates to the state convention to place the Lt. Gov candidate.

For me this makes sense. But what do I know, I’m just a damn yankee.

7. jackson says:

I like the Gov/LG running together too. However, I don’t see what this has to do with Casey Cagle’s vision. Currently it is NOT that way, and so he has to work with what he has. I doubt he would do anything that would hurt the Governor once elected. If fact, I think he would do all he could to help him.

But I have a question for Tater Tate: If the position is relatively meaningless, why do you believe it is important for Ralph Reed to get elected? Wouldn’t it be better to have someone with no baggage that wouldn’t hurt the governor? 🙂 I am not being confrontational, but your comment doesn’t jive with what you have previously said about Ralph Reed.

8. BillyTheKid says:

Jackson,

One answer to your question: if Casey gets elected, it will cause major controversy in the Senate because of those with whom Casey is associated, and their status as being at odds with established Senate leadership. Right now, the Senate is the strongest part of our GOP toehold in Ga politics, and we need to maintain that as much as possible.

9. jackson says:

What are you talking about? At odds? Almost the ENTIRE Senate caucus has endorsed him. If your logic held true, wouldn’t it be a “major controversy” for Ralph Reed because the entire caucus endorsed Casey Cagle?

But regardless, when folks get elected they carry with them the decision of the voters to put that person in office. With the “established leadership” (whoever that includes) changing so much in the last 2-3 years (as has the entire makeup of the senate.), whoever is elected, I am pretty sure they would find a way to work together.

10. Doc says:

I like Casey Cagle’s idea and would like to see him say more on the issues. I admire Ralph’s skills as a political operative but I am not so sure he would make a good elected official.

I do not understand how Casey is at odds with the Senate Leadership when they have all endorsed him except one or two. It seems that Ralph would be more at odds with the Senate Leadership than Casey.