From the streets…

Quick synopse of the gossip I’ve heard from different people over the last couple of days. It seems that the voter ID thread has tired everyone else, and they need some more juicy details to stimulate their [our] sordid imaginations. Friends, look no further. Oh, and one more note before I proceed: I’m repeating what I’ve heard. My repetition of rumor is in no way an endorsement or approval of, or agreement with, the words I speak.

The rumor continues, as it quickly becomes a spoken fact: Sonny’s going down. Unless something changes drastically, he doesn’t have much of a chance. Apparently a high level staffer within the Governor’s office has made it known that the situation isn’t as bad as it seems, especially considering the fact that Sonny seems to be doing much better than the other Governor’s around him (since when was our success rate decided by other Governors, rather than the people????). Apparently, the echo chamber affect has convinced most, if not all, of the Governor’s people that 4 million worth of TV commercials will fix the statewide problem. Please read the earlier discussion in “Are You Joshing Me” to see what the general consensus is as to what it will take to keep Sonny in office. I have yet, when mentioning a previously discussed email on meetings with legislators, to see any reaction short of a chuckle of amazed amusement. I, for one, cannot honestly believe we, as Republicans (yes, I am Republican), are finding ourselves back in this position. Unbelievable. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what can be done, as folks outside metro Atlanta who want to help our Governor, can do independant of the Perdue 2006 apparatus? Does anyone even want to? I suppose that’s the $64,000 question.

I have another question: what’s going to be in these steroid commercials anyway?

The trial lawyers hired, back in the early spring, a young “Republican” operative, specifically to work on their grassroots operations to build the coalitions lost in the tort reform battle. Upon further investigation, it was revealed that this young man, formerly campaign manager for Congressional candidate Chuck Clay, took the job as an apparent act of desperation, having been blacklisted by a certain metro – Atlanta consultant. This consultant, while little known outside metro Atlanta, has ties deep into the General Assembly leadership structure, and was able to prevent him from being hired numerous times before he landed the job with the trial lawyers. Our equation, then becomes something like this: last resort acceptance of a job from an organization desperate to rebuild ties with the party in power = disaster?

In other news, Senator J.B. Powell of Blythe has apparently endorsed Mark Taylor for Governor, 2006.

Just my two cents…

1. waterboy says:

Well, if J.B. has endorsed Taylor then I guess our efforts to “save” Perdue would just be wasted! The flood of votes for Taylor will certainly follow the lead of this FRESHMAN SENATOR…..it was fun while it lasted. Give me a break.

2. My understanding is that the Perdue people are confident they will get re-elected. Were I a betting man, it would not be smart to vote against a Republican running for re-election in a Republican state. That said, Bush has seen his approval in Georgia go down to 47 (51 disapprove) according to the latest Survey USA poll.

My source who received this tidbit of information from Perdue’s camp regarding their confidence of re-election opinined to the Perdue man that it is hard to beat a do-nothing governor. The Perdue person basically agreed, although he argued Sonny has only been “do nothing” in public, doing a lot of good work behind the scenes. He has certainly done a lot of work behind the scenes in government. I would not characterize it as good, but Republicans on this site may disagree.

It seems to me that the problem with being a do nothing governor is that while it may make it hard for your opponents to focus their campaign against you in a general election, it is also extremely hard to keep the base interested in re-electing you.

If Georgians remain split on Bush (or if Bush suffers further declines in popularity) a small number of them may “give up” on the Republicans the same way many Democrats gave up on the party of Clinton in 1994. Combine that with an unenthusiastic base and that could spell trouble for Perdue.

But those are a lot of “ifs”. That’s how I see it though from the Democratic side.

3. kspencer says:

A small point to remember, chrisis, is that this state may not be as republican as you think. Recall that while Bush and Isaakson took 58% of the public in 2004, Perdue only took about 51% in 2002 – and at the same time Taylor also took 51% and Cathy Cox (whom Perdue will be facing) took 61%. On the other hand, the 2004 election had almost twice the turnout as 2002 – but we’re speaking of 2006, not 2008.

The Republican Revolution of Georgia is only four years old. At this point it’s got even odds between dynasty and fluke.

4. Booray says:

To Silence (in particular) but others too:

This all seems like so much hand-wringing.

The Governor is beating both Dem rivals in polling right now, and he’s guaranteed to “go down”?

No candidate is perfect, including Governor Perdue, but I am perplexed at the nervousness. In four years, we have gone from being completely on the outside of Georgia politics to being completely in charge.

Sonny Perdue was at the helm of that. Why so much doom-and-gloom? Surely this can’t be all because of what some “grassroots Republicans” (of which I am one) think because of who is showing up at some meeting in Northwest Georgia or some place?

I suggest everyone just calm down, but that’s only my opinion…

Booray Bussey

5. Booray,

I am not one who doesn’t believe in polls, however a statewide poll this far out means very little. Leading 51-45 or 52-40 at this point is not very reassuring for an incumbent, however. Perdue has access to the media 7 days a week while (if you believe the AJC Zogby poll) close to 20% of the state don’t even know who Cathy Cox is and close to 35% of the state can’t ID Mark Taylor.

Think about the huge lead Barnes had in polling even just a few months before the election, or recall the huge lead Bush enjoyed over potential rivals in 2003. Now, of course Barnes lost and Bush won, but in both cases the final margin was much closer than early polling indicated.

The topline results are what get released by the media or leaked by the candidates. They aren’t very interesting, because they’re only really useful if the election were today, which unless it’s election day, it’s not. The story of the poll is the informed ballot test, ie how the people polled think they’ll vote once they hear all the potential lines of attack and candidate platforms.

Since both Democratic candidates will have enough money to broadcast their message and then Perdue will as well in the general, the likelihood of any of the final results looking like the polling results of today is very slim.

6. KSpencer, a good point. Certainly 8 years ago the Democrats still had an edge in statewide elections and in legislative ones. I think 4 years ago it was about a tossup, and now the Republicans probably have a small advantage — but not as big as 58-42. So it’s not a Republican state in the mold of Idaho, but not really a tossup state (Pennsylvania or Wisconsin) either. Btw you can call me Chris.

7. Bull Moose says:

If you are trying to minimize the situation with the Governor than obviously you’re just going to sit on the sidelines and watch the ship sink…

We need to be working NOW to get ready for the main event come November 2006. Anyone who is worth there salt in politics knows that you need to be working NOW.

Man, Senator Coverdell’s organization was always working — hard — positive — and engaging to all Georgians… The Perdue camp should duplicate the Coverdell 1998 campaign…

8. kspencer says:

Because I think it fair to report biases: if it’s between Cox and Perdue, I’ll vote Cox. If it’s between Taylor and Perdue – I’ve not yet decided. I’m one of those old-fashioned liberals – classic liberal, I call it – who think all ten of the bill of rights are important, that one of government’s jobs is to be ready and able to support those who need a hand, that it should enable a solid and consistent framework giving all citizens the opportunity to excel but which guarantees such success to no one, and otherwise it should stay out of my business. Of the three, Cox comes the closest to my ideals.

I think Perdue has three problems that if he doesn’t get them fixed soon are going to hurt him badly. Problem one is already discussed – he’s beginning to get painted as a rude elitist. “You need me more than I need you,” is the underlying message I got when near his staffers. Problem two is small but could explode, and that’s the flaggers. They’ll vote against him in the primary. At best they’ll stay home on election day. At worst they’ll hold their nose and vote for someone they at least think will keep promises. Most likely they’ll stay home and convince some other fence-sitters to do so as well. It’s the last that Perdue and his staff need to overcome – neutralize the negative message the flaggers will preach. The third problem is ethics. The LtGov campaign is going to mean it’s not going to disappear even if the national scene fades. Whichever foe Perdue faces is going to tie Perdue to Reed with the phrase, “the first and only governor of Georgia convicted of Ethics Violations.” The ads are easy: Perdue spoke often about how he was going to bring improved ethics to the state government, so any of several clips followed by a statement of the conviction. It also plays to the flaggers’ “broken promises – promises that matter” meme.

Perdue’s not doomed. But he needs to get his act together if he intends to be sitting in the same seat 18 months from now.

9. Silence says:

Excellently made points, Kspencer. Well articulated. I hadn’t even begun to think of the flaggers. You’re exactly right.

If the Governor’s staff thinks that a flurry of TV commercials are going to save his hyde, they’re wrong (pun intended; wasn’t a dig, a play on words. Ask if you don’t understand it). On the contrary, the airwaves are going to be so crowded come advertising – for – elections season that I bet people will start turning their TVs off just to get away from the political ads. Not to mention the fact that Sonny’s opponent will be running commercials, as will 501(c)7 – genre organizations.

I’m not quite sure I agree on the ethics violations. You make a good argument, but I’m not so sure it’s going to hurt him in the election. The broken promises, elitist aura, and lack of grassroots are what will take him down, should that take place.

10. kspencer says:

Silence,

The ethics violation is nothing – really, truly, a so what – by itself. The problem is that it’s not by itself.

The Dem grass roots are spreading the meme that the GOP is corrupt – that you can look just about anywhere and see evidence. There’s the multimillion dollar contract that Schwarzenneger (sp?) was getting paid while making decisions regarding that same industry in California. There’s the whole Ohio mess that gets uglier the more it’s viewed. There’s Delay’s PAC and its impact. There’s the whole Abramoff thing, which brings us to Reed which brings us to Georgia which brings us right back to Perdue. Suddenly the ethics violations aren’t just this little thing that shows the governor means it for everyone including himself. Suddenly instead they’re an indicator that Perdue might be part of that same problem.

If the Dems put together a “clean the house” package this election cycle, the broom touches Sonny. If they don’t, this mostly washes. Instead of being a problem, it becomes a reinforcement – as noted – of the “broken promises” meme. It’ll do that anyway, but it’s not as significant.

But of course that’s just my two cents.

11. kspencer says:

Rebel, these days I think the buzzword that carries the closest definition is “frame”. It’s properly a sociological term that means a concept – idea, value or pattern of behavior – that exists as a constant cultural subtext. While it’s sometimes intentionally spread (thus the “frame”), its effectiveness lies in the fact it’s unconscious.

Stereotypes are the most commonly recognized memes – “liberals are anti-gun” and “Republicans are racists” are a couple that are mostly wrong but have enough validity to make them hard to shake. In my preceding post that’s exactly what I meant by “meme” – a new stereotype that sticks as it’s got more than a little truth. There are other memes that are irrelevant in this context so I’ll not pontificate further upon them.

To summarize, though, memes are core assumptions that we’ve learned or accepted as “undeniable truths and realities” that we spend no more time pondering than the fact that we are breathing.

12. Bull Moose says:

Kspencer — very good points and I think you put the nail on the head that the three issues are kind of intertwined with one another and there are so many other problems too…

The Governor and his staff are about as arrogant and useless of a team that I’ve encountered in politics lately. They have no continuing community presence. Yeah, they’ve got some big money people that they can tap and stuff like that, but there isn’t any real hot enthusiasm for him or any of his staffers.

I’m comparing this to how well our two Senators and the previous US Senators had a constant community presence. You’d think that Perdue’s folks could have taken a page or two and figured it out.

I give them credit for some good fundraising numbers, but I think that his rude staff has hurt him and he’s going to have trouble overcoming that with some people — especially his base — and if he can’t on them, who can he count on? I think that the ethics issue is going to be huge, because he seemed to make it such a big issue out of ethics, only to find out that his own ethical situation was so murky. And finally, can anyone name anything that the Governor really stands for? I can’t think of one? When I think of the Governor, I think of someone who doesn’t have a principled center or core ideological context from which to go forward. Perhaps a great man, maybe a good legislator, but hasn’t been a good Governor.

Oh well, I’ll vote for him, but that’s it! I’m ready for an exciting, fired up, “NEW” Republican to run for Governor in 2010!

13. waterboy says:

Bull,
    Let me see….Governor Perdue has: supported small business, created a public/private land conservation program, supported innovative programs for distance learning and higher education, supported teachers, passed tort reform, initiated a statewide water planning process, brought our state out of a recession…..hmmm, what else??? Oh yeah, he did all this (and much more) as a total class act. Does that not satisfy you?

What is it exactly that you believe he has failed Georgians in doing -besides not having his staff make you feel all warm and fuzzy?

I’m sure he’s quite happy to have your vote, by why would you not advocate for this man and his strides that are producing a better Georgia?

14. Rebel says:

you may not like it…you may not agree with it…but the current overwhelming opinion among average republicans is that they are not excited or impressed with our first republican governor. Once you realize that, the question should become, how did this happen AND how do we fix this problem?

15. kspencer says:

“supported teachers…” ummm. Not according to most teachers with whom I work.

In fact, teachers is another population group that is going to have disproportionate effect (I suspect) on next year’s elections. Generally, teachers vote Dem. They voted not for Perdue but against the man who put that thrice-cursed NCLB-type plan into effect, increasing workload while decreasing flexibility and reward. Perdue didn’t promise to fix the problems, so he can’t be accused of breaking that promise. But he didn’t fix them, either. And while he said they were important, education was not one of the areas important enough to be excluded from the various budget cuts. Which made his support appear to be hot air.

And once more, perception matters.

16. BillyTheKid says:

Waterboy,

I’m going to steal a byline from Silence Dogood: good deeds are only good if the voters see them. Right now, the voters AND local party activists cannot get past the rudeness of Sonny’s staff long enough to see his good deeds.

I’ll also echo kSpencer once more: perception really does matter.

17. housecreek says:

Lets cut through the BS and see at how it is:

The economy is good, SAT and Educations numbers are on the rise, we have a net gain of jobs and Georgians trust this Govenor. That is a recipe for victory!

You folks live in a bubble that is full of rumors and ” insider whining”. Step outside of your box and see what everyone else sees.

18. kspencer says:

Housecreek, methinks you’ve mistaken who is in a bubble.

“Economy is good”. Well, the past four years Georgia’s increase in Gross State Product was below the average for the United States. (Bureau of Economic Analyis). Dean Benson of UGA has projected the 2005 rate at 3.2%, or half a percent lower than last year. In absolute terms that’s an increase. In real terms it’s treading water. Oh, and don’t forget that the 3.2% was balanced by an approximate 2.5% inflation rate (CPI change) here in Georgia over the same time.

“SAT numbers are on the rise.” Again, literally true but functionally not so much. In 2003 the average SAT was 980 (vs a national 1016). In 2004, it gained one point to 981 (and the national average went to 1017). Oh, it’s quite an increase from the 2002 score of 974 (vs a national 1013 – hey, we did close in on the national average.) In short, Georgia still significantly underperforms against the nation in SAT scores, and by about the same amount as always. It’s definitely not enough to brag about.

“Education’s numbers are on the rise.” I really have no idea what you’re meaning by this, so I’ll decline to agree or refute.

“We have a net gain of jobs.” Literally, you’re right – approximately 4.25 million people are employed (June numbers) vs approximately 4.175 million this time last year. Unfortunately, that growth is overshadowed by the increase in total labor force from 4.4 million to 4.5 million in the same time frame. Net result, the Georgia Department of Labor says the unemployment rate went from 5.1 to 5.6%.

“Georgians trust this governor.” As Bill Simon said, on what do you base this? If it’s the Survey USA poll that reported Sonny had a 52% approval rating, I’ll note first that approval is not trust. Secone, I’ll remind you it’s the first time in months it’s cracked 50%. And still, that’s 48% of Georgians who do NOT approve of Sonny’s performance.

So of the five points you list, two are completely incorrect, two are literally correct but only if you keep your eyes squinted, and one is too vague to defend. Nope, I have to disagree about which of us is sitting in a bubble.

19. waterboy says:

kspencer….I’m sorry, but wasn’t that a pay increase teachers received thi past year? How quickly we forget. Budget cuts were fair as they were across the board – ya can’t get blood from a turnip! When the money started to flow again, teachers were first on the list. What “wrong” did this Governor create for teachers? Yes, I realize teachers are mostly Dems, but the parents of the students like teacher support – and I’m pretty sure they vote too. You want to “score” me on my points? I guess that’s just a cute trick of yours to make you feel smart….not impressed.

Housecreek is right…you folks do live in a bubble. Travel the state – not the inner perimeter – and you’ll hear the responses that I hear…”Four more years! Four more years!”

20. kspencer says:

Waterboy? Kindly don’t put words in my mouth. I did not say Sonny wronged the teachers. I said that in their opinion Barnes wronged them, and Sonny didn’t fix the wrong. I won’t defend a position I did not take.

I would like you to look at what you just said. “I know teachers are mostly Dems…” In 2002 that group went heavily against Barnes. That means there’s one to two percent of the vote that Perdue had in his pocket then and hasn’t kept there. Sure, there are the parents, but you’re missing the point. 1% here, 2% there – Perdue won with a mere 51.4% of the vote last time.

You also missed the point. Yep, teachers got a 2% pay raise this time – just like everyone else. And yep, revenues declined over the past three years so cuts had to be made. But if you think the cuts were evenly distributed across the board, you’re mistaken. CPS had much shallower cuts, as did much of the healthcare system. And – directly to the point of perception – the Georgia equivalent of the NCLB (the QBE) took a much shallower cut than other parts of education. QBE/NCLB is a huge pain to teachers and school systems. Regardless of whether anyone else likes it or not, if a person doesn’t like something they’re not going to favor voting for the person responsible for keeping it on their backs.

Now I don’t want you to get me wrong. I don’t want you to say, “awww, poor teachers.” That’s not the point. The point is perception. In the eyes of the teachers, they got hurt by Barnes and they removed him in 2002. It’s 2006, and the person who they put in place didn’t make the hurt better. He let the hurt go on – and in fact with the inequitable budget cuts made it clear that he was in favor of the hurt. There is nothing to encourage them to vote against their inclinations again – he’s not shown them he’s going to make it better. So BY THEIR PERCEPTION they’re better off voting against him and with the person/party that more typically gives them relief and support.

Did Perdue and his people have to make hard choices? Yep. Did they get the state through a rough few years? Yep. Do you think people who had to take some hits to make it work are going to thank him for it? Ummm, that’s not the way most human nature works. I really think Perdue made (and pulled off) some hard decisions. I don’t agree with all of them. I had some major heartburn with some of his staff and how they insisted that the people on the ground knew less than they did and so it’d be done their way. We got through it. But it left bad feelings. There was no “spoon full of sugar”, no “thank you for helping”. Instead, we deal with a set of people who act as though we owe them. And if the tendency is to vote against anyway, well, that just nails that down.

Waterboy, I’m not in the perimeter. I’m in the northwest corner of the state, and travel through a couple of counties most every day. I don’t deal with politicians, mostly. I listen to people, lots of people, most of the time. I am sure you do indeed hear “four more years.” I hear that, too, a fair amount. I also hear a lot of “Dump Perdue” from people with big W stickers on their trucks. If you’re not seeing those signs and hearing those words, well, there are counties like that, but they’re not up here.

Finally – I wasn’t “scoring points” on Housecreek. I was saying that most of his facts were wrong as politely as he introduced them.

21. Bull Moose says:

Waterboy and Housecreek, what positions in the Governor’s office do you two hold? Just kidding… but really, you aren’t getting it…

Perdue needed or needs to be known to Georgia, and he hasn’t done a great job of that in the years that he has had to do it. Almost every group I’m involved with, both political, community, etc… are very indifferent on this man as Governor. They all think that Georgia’s Governor should be an aggressive leader and think that Perdue has just kind of drifted in the office.

You name a lot of good things, but let me tell you, NO ONE KNOWS ABOUT THEM. That’s a problem.

If you think for one moment this is about a warm and fuzzy feeling from the Governor’s people, you’re insane. This is about professionalism and interacting with the people of Georgia — community leaders and party activists in a civilized, professional way.

Waterboy and Housecreek, you both possess the type of attitude that really turns people like me off from politics and from this Governor.

22. kspencer says:

If I my divert the thread a bit… it’s quite a simple fact that the past 3 years have the potential to be overwhelmed by the next 15 months. I’m not certain that telling the staff they have to be more polite is going to be enough, but it’ll help. But that’s secondary.

I think there are two major events upcoming that are going to give Sonny a great opportunity to shine or sink. Frankly I’ve no advice for him – I’m not really sure what the best action to take might be in the political “get re-elected” sense. Though I’ll note sometimes short-term and long-term “best” can be in conflict.

The first event – and the most certain – is the rising gas prices. I’m willing to bet we’ll see a short-term spike of another 20 to 25 cents at the gas pump before mid-October, and that it’ll creep back to that level well before this time next year. No, not “peak oil”. Hurricanes. NWS forecast is 95-100% expectation of 3-5 MAJOR hurricanes before the season ends. That’s up from 75% at the beginning of the season, and does not count any that may have happened already. Based on last year, major hurricanes through the gulf cause oil platform shutdowns and oil tanker delays in delivery which in turn cause short-term spikes of 10-15% at the pumps. As for the creeping upward, we presently are spending about 25% more than we did this time last year. The golden opportunity is doing something in regard to this. We know he can’t push prices down, so he’s got to compensate. Ideally it’s a plan in place before the ouch – and that one just needs to look good, but is better if it works. Workably it’s one immediately after the ouch which works. Bad is if he appears to do nothing. Please note the word “appears”. If it’s all work behind the scenes, it’s the tree falling in the forest effect. All people see is that while Perdue was in office, gas prices went through the roof and he did nothing about it.

Second event is IMO as likely but by experts predictions only somewhat so. That’s the housing bubble. If house sales at a minimum hit a soft patch (prices quit climbing and at the same time time on market increases as fewer buyers are available) then it’ll have some ripple effects on the economy – another year like 2001. If the bubble actually exists and fizzles the effects will be a lot more severe: add to the soft patch lots of foreclosures which in turn drive property price REDUCTIONS; increased bankruptcies from people riding the edge of their ability to pay for their properties; layoffs in industries that feed on housing construction and sales. I think we’ll see a sizzle – not a “great depression”, but more than a soft patch. I’m willing to bet on the soft patch before the election, though – but admit again there are several experts who say it’s not going to happen.

Still, just as with the almost certain gas price event it’s an opportunity for Perdue to shine or sink.

With all that said, I’ve a question to direct this thread diversion. Assuming either of these is likely, what plan of action would you recommend the governor take – not with the goal of best for we the people, but with the goal of “I wanna be reelected” set as the dominant goal.

23. Silence says:

I’m going to jump in and piggyback on what Bull Moose was saying in his last post. It’s exactly the type of attitudes exhibited by Waterboy and Housecreek (does the reference to H20 mean, perhaps, you’re a little wet behind the ears?). Sorry, couldn’t resist. At any rate, it’s exactly those types of attitudes that turn people away. Good deeds? Absolutely the Governor has done some of those, especially considering the dyked up pile of manure he was handed by his previous administration. But remember the patented Dogood principle: in politics, good deeds are only good if people know about them. The problem is, most folks who matter are too irritated right now to care anything about listening to what your good deeds are. They’ve lost the vision.

First, the Governor, not his staff, but the Governor himself, is going to have to communicate with his people on the ground. Then, he has to listen to them. Then, he has to hear their needs, speak to those needs, and inspire them. Once inspired, I guarantee there’ll be little need for massive amounts of television airtime inside the beltway. His people will take care of him, just like they did the first year.

The problem? We have 15 months, two looming opponents (and I’m not just talking about the bulk of the Big Guy), and the clock is ticking.

24. waterboy says:

Silence should exercise the right that is reflected in the name.

Your words are just another form of pollution. Yes, I know what this Governor has done and I am willing to sound the horn because I know he is the right man for the job. You feel different and you have expressed such – and I disagree with all that you scribed (your words “broken promises, elitist aura, and lack of grassroots are what will take him down”) – not sure what world you are living in….appears to have lots of donkeys in it though. It’s okay to disagree.

Not sure what to think about your “most folks who matter” comment. I guess you think that you matter more than the rest of us – that’s too bad for you. Since you have such grand insight into what does or doesn’t need to happen, how about you go peddle it to the campaign team of your choosing. I’m sure they will be impressed – be sure and tell them that you are one of the folks that “matter.” In the mean time I’ll keep spreading the good word about our Governor.

25. Doc says:

Cathy Cox will be the Democratic nominee and she will run a hard race against Sonny. But whatever mistakes Sonny or his young staff have made, we all need to get behind him. Who is the Republican that is working for the trial lawyers?

26. Bull Moose says:

Interesting stuff here… Let me say this — I was at a wedding this weekend and the topic of the Governor came up. Almost everyone thought Sonny was toast. They felt like his staff is doing him in. They felt like that his staff treats people rudely and frankly, they were tired of it. Most of the people hate the idea of voting for a Democrat but feel it may be the only way to teach the Republican Party a lesson.

Compared to most Governors of major states, Sonny hasn’t exactly been spectacular. Governor Sanford has been much more impressive in South Carolina.

Hate to say it, but unless something major happens, we may be seeing the perfect storm where Democrats are revived in the form of Cathy Cox.