Mac Collins

After the Chamber of Commerce’s Congressional Luncheon yesterday I ran into Mac Collins. He was in fighting form and with a guy from the NRCC. That is all well and good for now, but if Mac really wants to be a serious contender, and I think he does, he’s going to need to get some Georgia faces on his campaign staff. There is a whole different skill set. The NRCC guys are top notch, but there is a difference between top notch and Georgia top notch.

1. GAWire says:

Trust me, it doesn’t matter if he has a guy from the NRCC or not, and I am speaking from experience. They will get local guys to come on the campaign to do that grassroots retail campaigning that locals love. The DC guy is just there for organization and strategy support and most importantly, fundraising support.

2. GAWire says:

Also remember, GA politics is the same as any other state’s politics (for the most part). Of course, there are little differences, and we all like to think our state is the unique one when it comes to our politics, but when it comes right down to it, we are all the same.

. . . especially at Mac’s current stage in the process.

I have to say, though, that there is one exception to that rule, and that is Louisiana politics. Every state throughout the union has similar political environment, except for LA. It is just a different world.

I see what you are saying, Erick, and I certainly agree . . . sooner is always better than later, especially nowadays in politics when campaigning is a year-round thing!

3. BillyTheKid says:

It’s been rumored that MC doesn’t have a consultant, persay, as of yet, and that all strategic decisions are being decided out of DC. Many thought Bob Hydrick would once again fulfill that role, but until now, he has only taken an “advisory” role. In order to win, MC has to effectively use and play off of the dynamics of the other statewide races, and in order to do that, he has to have a saavy, Georgia – wise consultant or manager.

4. GAWire says:

NRCC always runs things early on. They will get someone local to present the GA perspective soon.

Remember, Mac isn’t starting from scratch, so help from DC, especially in the form of $ will help get this new campaign off to a good start. He won’t have a problem covering the GA grassroots efforts himself.

5. Hammertime says:

GAWire, only in Louisiana is “Vote for the Crook, it’s Important” a winning campaign slogan!

6. GAWire says:

Indeed. I did say it is a different world of politics down there, didn’t I?

If you ever want to get an idea about what “good ole’ boy” politics was like in the old days, I invite you to join me on my political endeavors in the Sportsman’s Paradise!