A Hidden Trump Card for Georgia Republicans

Since Peach Pundit started, I have been decrying a lack of solid messaging by the Georgia Republicans. My theory is that the Georgia GOP should come up with a comprehensive set of conservative political reforms and push forward. Well, meet ALEC. ALEC is the American Legislative Exchange Council, a conservative version of the National Conference of Legislators, which, as ungrounded third party organizations are prone to do, has drifted leftward.

Why is ALEC so significant? In addition to being the go to place for conservative legislators seeking free market ideas for their state, the current chairman of ALEC’s National Board of Directors is one Earl Ehrhart — yes Georgia’s Earl Ehrhart.

I’m a huge, huge fan of ALEC. I didn’t realize Ehrhart was the Chairman. That’s just cool.

1. Warrior says:

Republicans in the legislature have been using ALEC model legislation for years. And the AJC is shocked – SHOCKED – that legislators network with other conservatives and the private sector. Where do they think the left gets their “model legislation”? From the AFL-CIO, the DLC, Common Cause, Sierra Club, etc. Duh!

2. Hissy Fit says:

I don’t know what type of messaging it does for the Georgia GOP but Erhart has been active in ALEC for YEARS.

3. Silence says:

I agree with hissy. Ehrhard has been involved, as has Senate SLOGO Chairman John Wiles, for years, back to when Lynn Westmoreland was still Minority Leader. In reference to what Warrior brings up, it’s an excellent point, once should ask how many bills the General Assembly’s Legislave Counsel actually writes, rather than tweaking for legalise and format. Many, many of the bills, Democratic and Republican alike, come pre – written by corporate attorneys and ouside counsel.

4. Hissy Fit says:

Silence, that is a good question considering the salaries of the 10 or so lawyers on staff in Leg Counsel.

5. Silence says:

I know there are several attorneys who work extremely hard, and probably don’t get paid enough. One in particular of whom I know had written/edited 547 pieces of legislation, I believe, shortly before the session’s end. As for the others? Interesting point.

6. Bill Simon says:

I think the requirement to work there is that you must have graduated from the Univerity of Bubba Law School and have no ability to write decent law.