Bush is In, Reed Not on Stage

The President came to Atlanta today and Ralph Reed was in the audience, but he was not on stage. Reed joined the ranks of people like Casey Cagle, there to cheer on the President and not hear their name mentioned.

The President did mention, among others, Eric Johnson and Glenn Richardson, neither of whom are running for Lieutenant Governor, just in case you were wondering.

1. Isakson Republican says:

This is another example of Reed losing the expectations game. From the start of his campaign, he has implied that “the White House” is behind his candidacy. As late as a week ago, his operatives like Maverick Johnson were reporting that Reed was “giddy” about the President’s visit and to “look for him on stage.” Reed’s supporters who were in attendance at the speech today must be deflated.

The President mentioned Sonny Perdue, Johnny Isakson and Saxby Chambliss. He even mentioned members of Congress and the Georgia General Assembly, but he completely ignored Ralph. Not only did the President not endorse him, he never even acknowledged his presence.

2. landman says:

It was great to see the President back in our beloved state,and a bonus that the matriarch of the Bush clan was here as well.There is without question a sincere affection for our great state from this family and this is very good for all Georgians. Look for him to be back several more times,but lets be realalistic on why,it’s not as the die hard Reed followers would have you believe and that is because of Reed delivering the south in the 04 election.Get real ,I mean who really thought GW wasnt going to carry the South?Not taking anything away from Ralph,but PLEASE John Kerry didnt exactly fit the demographic of your average southern democratic conservative swing voter.The reason he will come here is because Atlanta is the true Capitol of the South and Georgia as a whole is one of the fastest growing states in the ever more important south. So if anyone really believed this visit was going to turn into a love fest for Ralph they were doomed from the begining(sorry,Maverick),the reality is as I have posted the race is going to come down to Qualifications for the job at hand.

3. GAWire says:

As I said before his visit . . . this won’t be a campaign speech, and the reason he mentioned Saxby, Sonny and Johnny is b/c they either aren’t running or don’t have Republicans as opponents.

It’s Party policy, folks, and they aren’t gonna break it for Ralph Reed, regardless of how much he name drops everytime he opens his mouth.

I am glad someone did bring up the point about RR’s claim of fame from the ’04 election. If you would have given me a choice of an area of the country to win for the President, I easily would have said the Southeast, and then would have made a drink and head for the golf course!

Also, remember, folks . . . the Administration might not have re-election to worry about, but they have to sell policy and a SCOTUS nominee.

NEWSFLASH TO RALPH REED AND HIS SUPPORTERS: THE WHITE HOUSE HAS MORE TO DO THAN WORRY ABOUT YOUR LT. GOVERNOR RACE!!!

4. Frank says:

Only thing this proves is that GWB is an INGRATE. Ralph delivered the South for GWB. Conservatives know that. GWB is a good President, but he is the one hurt by encouraging Ralph to run and then not following through with the endorsement. The first GWB raised taxes after saying something different, so I guess the apple does not fall far from the tree. Ralph will roll over Casey Cagle, with or without a GWB endorsement.

5. Bull Moose says:

Frank — are you insane? Seriously?

President Bush was going to win the South whether it was Ralph Reed helping him or my dog and cat. For real Frank, do you think a Massachusets liberal Senator had a snowball’s chance in hell of winning the South?

Ralph Reed didn’t deliver the South for President Bush, the people of this great land did. Ralph Reed took a lot of credit for everyone else’s hard work. And that is a fact that you can take to the bank.

Really, Frank, you need to wake up to reality brother. The people of this great state are going to see through the smoke and mirrors that is Ralph Reed and turn to character, honesty and integrity when it comes time to cast their votes in July 2006.

6. Mark says:

You cannot always believe the liberal media. I could not make it to the President’s event, but I have a hard time believing that he would not acknowledge Ralph in his speech. I have it on good authority from Ralph’s campaign that the President personally encouraged and is very supportive of Ralph’s candidacy, with plans to campaign for him in Georgia before the primary. The photos on television show a lot of people on stage. I am sure that Ralph was among them but “overlooked” by the media. It does not make sense that the President would ignore Ralph’s presence, given their closeness and the fact that he recruited him to run for Lieutenant Governor. I do not think Ralph’s campaign would make up that the President supported him because, if untrue, they would have to know that they would get caught. It is very likely that Ralph was onstage and acknowledged by the President but that the media is not reporting that fact. He will probably campaign for Ralph on his next visit.

7. Tater Tate says:

Surely no one is surprised that a Presidential visit to discuss Social Security is not the forum for a Presidential political endorsement. RR has direct access to the White House. Rove will take care of his and the President’s friend in due course.

What I found odd was the fact that the President mentioned ML Stephens, while the new leader Tommie Williams was sitting on the front row of the audience. Some one screwed up there.

8. Mark says:

I have it on very direct information that the President personally encouraged Ralph to run and is supportive of his candidacy. I do not understand why Ralph was not on the stage with him or why the President did not even acknowledge his presence, especially if the President’s speech included mention of individual state legislators. I have been looking forward to the President endorsing Ralph and I thought it would happen here. I cannot believe that Ralph was seated with Casey Cagle and not recognized in any way at all. This does not make sense.

9. Maverick says:

It stands to reason that Washington hasn’t seen any need to “wade” into this race yet. Given that only 22% of RR’s money was raised outside of the state, we know that his vast resources, and yes, I’ll readily admit he has deep ties to the Beltway, in Washington have not been tapped into, and I believe, neither has the “resouce” of the White House. It’s too early. We shouldn’t expect the President to wade into this race unless absolutely necessary. Although I think a Presidential endorsement of RR would seal the lid on CC’s coffin, it would be an indicator that to that point, CC had given RR one heck of a run for his money.

10. Bill Simon says:

Mark says: “I have it on very direct information that the President personally encouraged Ralph to run and is supportive of his candidacy.”

I say, your “direct info” is wrong, like a lot of things Ralph Reed claims.

11. GAWire says:

RR is known for taking credit for things he did not do. If you think he delivered the South, then you are indeed strongly mistaken. There was never even a remote chance BC’04 would lose the South – why do you think they pulled all campaign money out of here a yr from ED?

As far as the President being an ingrate . . . good luck with that, cause it’s not gonna get you very far. Good thing you obviously aren’t in politics. Moreover, you are horribly misinformed on what conservatives know or don’t know or think or don’t think, and I am happy to say that you will be disappointed next summer.

As far as Mark’s allegedly insider info from the WH saying “the President personally encouraged blah blah blah . . .” Guess what . . . the Administration along with the RNC always encourages their GOP candidates, b/c if/when they win, they are apart of the Party, and that, my friends, is a basic premise of building internal longterm Party unity.

The Administration and the RNC has not and will not do anything out of SOP for RR over any other candidate out there. As I said, they have a lot more to think about than GA’s Lt. Gov race.

12. Mark says:

I never said I heard it from a White House insider. I do not know any White House insiders except Ralph. I heard it on good authority and direct information from Ralph’s campaign, from people who would be knowlegeable about Ralph’s conversations with the President. It does not make sense that the President would completely ignore Ralph. I never said the President was an ingrate. I just do not understand why he would encourage Ralph to run and then miss an easy opportunity to help his candidacy. I have been led to believe that the President will be campaigning for Ralph in the primary, and I know that many people have been looking forward to a Presidential endorsement of Ralph’s candidacy. I intend to ask some questions.

13. GAWire says:

FYI, Frank, in all his/her knowledge was what I was referring to as calling the President an ingrate.

In point of fact, however, it makes absolutely PERFECT sense that the President ignored RR on his visit. That is how this works, Mark. This was a policy visit to strengthen the Administration’s efforts for medicare, SS Reform and of course the SCOTUS nominee.

Moreover, I point you back to the original point that the Administration or Party will not endorse in a Primary, for that will only cause division within the Party and hurt our other candidates/races.

Furthermore, despite what RR or his campaign keeps saying about how “close” Ralph is to the President, I wouldn’t believe it, b/c it (as they say) just ain’t true!

And, finally . . . we must remember: this is a Lt. Gov Primary in GA – not exactly the biggest concern for the WH at this time. When the Primary is done and the PARTY has their candidate, then there will be endorsements coming in, but do you know what? . . . there will be just as many endorsements coming in if Cagle wins as there would be for Reed.

14. Tater Tate says:

I don’t think RR really needs the president to win Bill, but I believe his network and relationship with the President and Rove are important assets that will payoff in the end in terms of fundraising outside Georgia and the Republican icons who will visit the state on behalf of RR and the Governor.

If RR wins it will be because of message, money, name id, and the fact that many Republicans do credit RR with organizing a strong grassroots effort that led to the completion of the Republican revolution in Georgia.

CC is a good person and a good candidate. If RR were not in the race, he would be a great candidate with a great chance. But I think he has to hold back his staff and friends just a bit on all the anti RR stuff. Slash and burn will not win this for CC. His campaign has to be positive with an agenda that will resonate with where the voters are better than that of RR. It is not impossible for CC, but I think RR’s advantage at this point is more significant that the RR haters are willing to admit.

Right now I predict RR wins 53/47 and that the vast number of CC people will support RR and the Governor strongly in the general. I will support the winner without question. Both are good candidates and both are capable of providing significant leadership. This is not good versus evil and I reject the doomsayers who predict dire consequences if RR wins.

15. Mark says:

I have been told directly from Ralph’s campaign that the President will be campaigning for Ralph in the Republican primary, and that early supporters of Ralph’s campaign might have a chance to meet the President. I would probably have supported Ralph anyway because I do not really know Casey Cagle, but the chance to meet the President was a consideration. Ralph’s networking and relationship with the President are not of much good if the President ignores him. It sends a message that is probably not intended. None of this makes any sense to me.

16. GAWire says:

RR (and his campaign) says a lot of things for the sole reason of making him look good. That is a tool in campaign politics and he certainly is using it to his advanmtage. But, remember . . . just b/c his campaign is saying something doesn’t mean that is how it is going to be.

You said that the chance to meet the President would be a consideration in supporting Reed (more or less – I don’t mean to be words in your mouth) – that is exactly what they want.