Supreme Court Brouhaha

Apparently, the United States Supreme Court isn’t the only court with some upheaval going on right now. This morning, Bill Shipp reported on some apparent rumblings in Georgia’s high court. Upon taking his oath as an associate justice, 38 year old Harold G. Melton, formerly a legal advisor to the Governor, has broken established tradition is several ways:

â€

1. Bull Moose says:

Bull Moose hears from several sources that Melton was not qualified for this appointment and in fact, many were surprised that Perdue didn’t appoint someone more experienced, given that we have a tremendous talent pool.

Also, it seems disrespectful to ignore the advice of two sitting US Senators in being so arrogant toward Jimmy Franklin. Mr. Franklin is someone who helped build the party that carried Perdue into office. Perdue should remember, that while he was helping build the Georgia Democratic party, people like Jimmy Franklin were building the Georgia Republican party.

Common sense would have made Jimmy Franklin the logical and best selection for this Judicial appointment.

2. landman says:

I strongly agree with Bull,this appointment should have went to Jimmy.I do not understand the logic behind the Melton selection at all.I hope Melton’s actions thus far are not indicative of things to come! On another note I was pleased by the selection of Roberts by GW to the supreme court.I was at a dinner party in DC back in June of ’03 and had a chance to talk with him and it was apparent to me that he was a future play for the high court.It will be interesting to see how the Dems play this.Kudo’s to the pres for sticking to his word and putting forth a good conservative minded appointee!!!!

3. GAWire says:

So, what IS the logic for Melton over Franklin? Maybe PP can fill us in a little more on that, b/c I am admittadly absent-minded when it comes to GA courts.

Perhaps Franklin was the 1st choice, but didn’t make it thru the vetting process for whatever reason? . . . or was this simply arrogance showing on behalf of the State Executive?

4. Bull Moose says:

Back in 1992 Franklin’s nomination for the Federal Bench was held up by the Democrats in the US Senate. His judicial and personal background is stellar and he would have been a welcome addition to the Supreme Court of Georgia.

I believe this was pure arrogance on the part of the Executive Branch.

Melton doesn’t have the legal experience or background to serve on the highest court of the state. Bull Moose predicts he will be defeated.

5. buzzbrockway says:

“Bull Moose predicts he will be defeated.”

Not trying to start a flame war, but, when is the last time a Supreme Court Justice was defeated?

6. Isakson Republican says:

I am not sure that a sitting Supreme Court Justice has ever been opposed, except for Leah Sears Collins and that did not work out so well for the Governor.

7. Bull Moose says:

Buzz — we’ll see — perhaps I let the rhetoric get to me — I just think that a lot of people feel that there were better candidates and are dissapointed by the Melton selection to the State Supreme Court.

8. Big Mack says:

Either Jimmy Franklin or Rusty Simpson would have made a better Justice than a man who has never tried a case. However, what this probably boils down to is our good friend Mike Bowers is getting a lot of big judgements that are being appealed. If Grant Brantley had been elected, Mike would have had a good friend on the court and now he does with Melton. Now that it is acceptable for candidates to campaign for these positions, all the conservatives have to do is put up good candidates and raise the money to beat the bleeding hearts.

9. Bill Simon says:

A judge who grants a stay of execution for a proven, brutal murderer IS a bleeding heart liberal. So, “conservatives” shouldn’t waste any money defending Mike Bowers’ buddy, Harold Melton.