Mac Collins

Jackson – According to quarterly reports filed with the Federal Elections Commission (FEC) today, Mac Collins, who is exploring a campaign for Congress in Georgia’s newly drawn 8th District, received over $130,000 in campaign contributions during the month of June.

Collins previously filed a federally required campaign Statement of Organization with the FEC on June 10, 2005.

During the reporting period Collins received contributions from many Republican leaders including: U.S. Speaker of the House J. Dennis Hastert, Majority Leader Tom DeLay, Republican Whip Roy Blunt, Republican Chief Deputy Whip Eric Cantor, and National Republican Congressional Committee Chairman Tom Reynolds, as well as, the entire Georgia Congressional House delegation.

“We are receiving a lot of encouragement from the people who know us best: our family, friends, former constituents and colleagues in Congress, to again run for Congress,” said Collins. “It’s overwhelming to have such strong support from the people who know me best and appreciate my common-sense approach to leadership.

“It’s still early, we are more than a year away from next year’s election, but Julie and I are getting closer to making an announcement on a potential run for Congress.”

Mac Collins, a Butts County native, has been married to the former Julie Watkins of Jackson, Georgia for 41 years and has been a small business owner for 43 years in Georgia. Together they have four children and eleven grandchildren.

Collins previously served on the Butts County Commission, 1977-80 (chairman); in the Georgia Senate, 1989-93, U.S. House of Representatives, 1992-2004; and was a Republican candidate for U.S. Senate in 2004.

Collins collected $130,200 in contributions during the month of June. (Source: www.fec.gov)

1. albert says:

Explore nothing, got my bumper sticker.

Frankly, I think he is probably the only one who could effectively unseat Marshall. Marshall has done a fair job marketing himself to veterans and military groups. However, I would not say he has been stellar at constituent services. It takes weeks or months for a reply if you write or call.

2. Bull Moose says:

Collins will probably not win against Marshall. Hate to say it, but just my opinion… $130K just isn’t that impressive…

3. albert says:

I would beg to differ. Collins candidacy has been predicated on the approval of the new district map. There is no challenger and more than a year before an election. The $130,000 is a moot issue at this point.

The RNC is targeting this race. In fact, they are already providing staffing for him.

Collins has the determination and the tenacity, not to mention the political clout. Look for this race to be a barn burner.

Nothing is ever easy. In fact most astounding achievements were born out of great difficulty. Everyone said Charlie Bishop didn’t have a snowballs chance in hell at winning the Commission Chairmanship in Bibb County. No Republican had ever won a countywide race in Bibb County. Charlie’s dogged determination and ability to stay focused, not to mention his kind character won him a sweet victory.

When the Dems redrew the maps and gave him an insignificant amount of Bibb County, Mac did not write us off. Mac attended most all major events and assisted in many a fundraiser. As much as I admire his predecessor, he hasn’t followed Mac’s lead.

I look for quite a positive outcome. We’ll see…. guess that’s why they call it a race.

4. Maverick says:

I have to agree with Bull on this one. I doubt very seriously that Mac will be able to pull the race off. On the contrary, Albert, the fact that the RNC is providing the staffing is the very reason Mac is hamstrung right now. THe low hanging fruit from the Beltway has been picked. When I spoke with the “campaign manager” from the RNCC, he had no earthly idea of what was going on anywhere else in Georgia politics. Admittedly, my questions were trick questions, there was no right answer, but all the same, Mac cannot win with a staff that doesn’t know how to use the dynamics of the other statewide races in Georgia.

5. Nate says:

I agree. Mac is a good guy, but his run for senate was just about the worst organized or run campaign I have ever seen. If he wants to win, he needs to put together a dedicated team who know Georgia politics and the district. Some bozo from DC is not going to cut it.
    Nate

6. Demonbeck says:

Mac has good staff available to help him already. Many of his former staffers remain in GA and DC and could easily rejoin for this effort. Mac’s biggest campaign problem is himself, though. He needs to be more energetic and learn how to speak to a large crowd like he does to a smaller one. When he is talking to a group smaller than 15, he is the best. More than that and he becomes dry and quiet and drones on endlessly.

Don’t get me wrong, I like Mac and support him, but I don’t think he can beat Jim Marshall. Of course, I’d like to be shown up on this one.