Here I stand…

Former President Theodore Roosevelt once said, “It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs, who comes short again and again; because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat…” Insomuch as I believe this principle to be true, I’ve made up my mind as to who to support in the Lt. Governor’s primary. After much thought, and consideration, I’ve decided to throw my weight behind Ralph Reed. You’re not suprised, I know, you’ve thought all along I was a Ralph guy. Well, I wasn’t. Regardless of my other priority affiliations, I’ve been a Cagle supporter from the beginning of the race. I’ve had extensive personal contact with both candidates, and I decided, on the basis of my personal experience with them, that I would vote for Casey. Having worked for Ralph previously, I had an opinion of him that although he was a brilliant strategist, he was also a complete and total jerk, and, like many others who’ve chosen sides in this race, made my decision primarily on emotion of personality. I was wrong. Honestly, while I see Ralph as the lesser of two evils right now, I also see in him the most potential to develop into the leader for whom I’d gladly cast a vote. Ultimately, he’s also not the candidate who’s supporters are standing day in and day out throwing mud…12 months out.

Having spent the last several weeks listening and probing intently to Casey’s staff and supporters, I’ve decided that I must hold to the ancient principle that empires are built on issues, conviction, and strength of leadership, rather than whining, nit-picking, and the pointing of fingers. I’ve specifically left out of my columns and posts details of Senator Cagle’s political affiliations that are questionable at best, and as such, have been somewhat offended when my fellow columnist spends almost 100% of his time attacking Ralph. Bull, you’ve got a one track mind, buddy, just like all of Casey’s supporters. I’ve yet to speak to ONE, just ONE Cagle supporter who had anything to say besides, “Ralph Reed’s the devil, he’ll take us off a cliff…” Disraeli said, “It is much easier to be critical than to be correct.” In this case, I find that principle to be immensly true.

I, like Hamilton, believe that those who stand for nothing fall for anything. Unless Senator Cagle and his supporters rally the wagons and decide on a bedrock of relevant, cutting edge, out of the box, solution oriented issues, they’ll fall.

I, for one, have no desire to be involved in the camp of someone who’s “steam” is strictly antagonistic. I’d prefer the man with conviction and direction, however slight it may be.

1. Bull Moose says:

Maverick, I responded to your earlier request for a reason to support Casey, and I did so, without making any negative reference to Reed.

The reasons that I am supporting Casey Cagle are as follows:
    1. Experience – As an accomplished State Senator, Casey knows how to get things done in the State Capitol. He has the backing of the Republican Members of the Senate so will be able to start working from day one in getting things done for Georgia.
    2. Integrity – Casey is an honest man. He is a small business man. He is an entrepreneur. Personally, being raised by a single mother who struggled to provide for her family is a refreshing background for an elected official. Casey worked hard and overcame obstacles to become a successful business man, State Senator, and now candidate for Lt. Governor.
    3. Common Sense – Casey knows that you have to offer real solutions to Georgia’s problems.

Maverick, this is an important election because of what is at stake in our state. We are poised to continue growing both in jobs and in residents and we need leadership at the helm that has the experience and know how to get us there.

In my mind, Casey Cagle is the only candidate for this office that offers the background, skills, and apptitude to get this done.

2. landman says:

Maverick,surprise, surprise,but I think you are reaching with the Roosevelt anaology.I dont know how many Cagle functions you have been to but Ive been to several and I havent heard any anti-Ralph discussions spoken by him,but rather indepth detail of policy issues concerning the state.The issues that he is very knowledgeable about and that he has addressed as a State Senator for 11 years.To some people Experience,Integrety,Character,and Qualifications still matter.I agree that Ralph is good at what he does for a living and unfortunatly for him it has placed him in a difficult position as the facts start to emerge,but I dont know how thats Cagles fault or how it would be the dems fault if he were to make it out of the primary.There is a saying that “its better to be hated for what you are, than to be loved for what you are not,and this seems more fitting than ever in this case.Regardless,who wins this primary it will a great indicator of where our party is in terms of where the true power is far right,mainstream,etc.,etc.I am glad that you have shown your true stripes and look forward to reading yours and Bull’s points!!!

3. Maverick says:

Bull,

Your reasons are as follows, with my questions below each one:

I find it interesting that those same members didn’t back him for Majority Leader, which to me is an interesting indicator of Casey’s true effectiveness in the Senate.

Where’s his college degree? A man of true integrity will always surround himself with likeminded men. If Casey truly has integrity, he needs to reign in his minions and focus on the issues.

Hello? If he knows it, why doesn’t he offer some of those solutions? If Casey’s such the consummate policy man, where are his policy statements? I’ve been all over the website, and they’re NOT THERE!

4. Maverick says:

Sorry for the formatting of that earlier post. Not quite sure what happened, or how to fix it, but anyway…

Landman, fella, I have to agree with you that none of this anti-Ralph rot seems to be coming from Casey, but rather than the people around him. Reference my earlier comments about that.

5. Jack S says:

Oh,this is funny. Some guy who obviously is just some low level flunky who doesn’t even have enough between his legs to use his real name is quoting Teddy Roosevelt on having the “courage” to be in the arena.

TR would laugh at you.

6. Maverick says:

Jack Strickland,

Thanks for the compliment.

I’d like to hear your reasons as to why I’m so obviously a low level flunky…sounds interesting.

Maverick

7. albert says:

Maverick, what I find humorous is the fact that the Reed camp is the one that is antagonistic and running the negative campaign.

Its a common political ploy to blame the messenger when you’re cought with dirty fingers in the cookie jar. Well, really it wasn’t a cookie jar, more like the factory $4.5 million isn’t chump change. However, the only comment I’ve heard from the Cagle camp is simply responding to Ralph’s propaganda. I received the email a month ago from Reed deploring the AJC and trying to tie the Cagle camp to his woes.

Problem is, it is Ralph who played both sides of the political game for personal gain. It was Ralph who implicated himself with the emails to his “college buddy”. It was Ralph, not Cagle.

Cagle has been simply done what is politically expedient. When someone his opponent is destroying himself, get out of the way.

Granted I have no alligiences to either Cagle or Reed. However, it seems to me that one simply is crying wolf while the other is running his campaign.

I think it behooves the electorate to have “all” the facts. In this society the fact don’t seem to matter and in the end, does anyone really give a rip?

The real campaign doesn’t start until June of 2006. What would be nice is that Georgia elect an honorable person, whoever that may be.

8. Maverick says:

Albert,

Yet another example of a Cagle supporter belly-aching about Ralph. I rest my case.

Just for the record, I’ve never heard Casey himself engage in such mud-slinging. It’s sad that he can’t control his people and that they won’t hold to the same standard as he does.

9. albert says:

I would not characterize it as belly aching. These were events that happened. The excuses and finger pointing happened as well. How can you overlook the fact that Reed directly has been the one slinging drivel at the other candidate?

I’m not criticizing you for your support of Reed. Frankly, he did a lot of good as a facilitator and organizer when he was Party chairman.

To minimize the backroom deal making as belly-aching is naive. I recall our Party’s criticism of President Clinton in the Whitewater mess. Frankly, there could be some parallels made in this matter. It is haunting, and if for one minute you think the Democrat machine will not make this an issue next year, you’re severely naive.

Reed and Cagle are the candidates. Whatever praise or criticism, now is the time to vent.

10. Bull Moose says:

The Cagle campaign doesn’t need to, nor has it been, to my knowledge, saying anything about Ralph Reed. The Cagle campaign is talking about their positive message of a candidate with Experience, Character, and Ability. They are educating the electorate on Casey’s background and what he’s accomplished as a legislator.

The press is covering and will continue to do so, Reed’s ever evolving problems. If you look at the situation from when Ralph was in college and had the problem with plagarism, he didn’t admit his mistake and take his medicine, he lashed out at the reporter and the professor who pointed out the lapse. Reed operates today from the same playbook.

Maverick, what I hope you will take from this is that, me, and the others who are pointing out Ralph Reed’s deficiencies in character and judgement, is that we support another candidate, Casey Cagle, a candidate who brings so much more to the race and we don’t have to worry whether or not he’s telling us the truth about who he took money from, who his clients were, or whether or not there is more to come out of this junk…

So Maverick, if you really care about this state, and support Ralph Reed why don’t you articulate and explain to me why these ethical and potential legal lapses are no big deal? Explain to me why we should overlook the lies Ralph has told in regards to his involvement with the tribal casinos? Explain to me why we would want a Washington lobbyist with questionable ethics to serve in state office?

Maverick, I think those are the things that you should answer. As for me, I’m supporting someone with an accomplished legislative record, who has started and run a successful small business, and who genuinely cares about the direction of our state.

BM